Wednesday, April 2, 2014

April, a month of renewal

Spring is here and along with the renewing of plants and new baby animals comes the time to renew our spirits.  April is Easter and the time we remember the crucifixion and resurrection or our Savior Jesus Christ, He who suffered and died for us all so that if we repent of our sins, we can return to He and the Father.  During some deep contemplation a couple of years ago while reading about those hours in the Garden of Gethsemane prior to His arrest, I wondered if I had been there, would I have fallen asleep like His head Apostle Peter and the two sons of Zebedee?  Would I, during the most trying time in His life, when He needed my support most, have fallen asleep?  While thinking about this and my eyes filling with tears, I remembered how many times I have symbolically fallen asleep by falling short on keeping some commandments and not being the representative of Him as I should have been.  That is when I remembered the beauty of the atonement.  When I recognize my mistakes and sins, I can go to the Father through Jesus Christ and ask for forgiveness after forsaking my sins.  With true repentance comes forgiveness and a renewing of our faith.  We will never become perfect in this life even though He commanded us to be but we can work at it and become more perfect as we keep our covenants, forsake our sins and repent. 

General Conference is coming up also and I am anxious to hear what our Prophet and General Authorities have to say.  This is another chance to charge our spiritual batteries to get us through the next six months.  Please take this time to recharge your spiritual batteries.

April's food storage goal is:
 Oats: up to 50 lb. per person/one year. One of the most inexpensive and healthy whole grains. Rich in B vitamins, iron, fiber.
Rice: up to 50 lb. per person/one year. White rice retains more nutrition than most other refined grains; though it still loses much of the fiber.  Do not use brown rice for long term storage as it will go rancid.  I prefer Par Boiled Rice.  This rice is quickly steamed after coming out of harvest.  This drives the nutrients into the center of the grain and also makes it so it doesn't get sticky like regular white rice.
Dry Corn/Cornmeal: up to 25 lb. per person/one year. For best nutrition, store dry corn (or popcorn) and grind your own cornmeal.
Rye: up to 50 lb. per person/one year. This grain is known as a "bone builder" because it is very high in phosphorous, which is second only to calcium in building strong bones/teeth. Store/grind the same as wheat. Combine with wheat if you wish a lighter 'rye taste'.

More on these later.

Have fun with your food Storage.

Bob and LouAnn Singer




No comments:

Post a Comment