Sunday, March 23, 2014

End of March, how is your food storage coming?

Well, it's the end of March, well, almost.  How are you doing on the food storage challenge?  I have to put up a spot here for Honeyville Farms.  I don't work for them so I don't get anything out of this except getting you some good prices.  Now through the 12th of April, they are having their semi-annual 20% off sale.  They are giving 20% off on a number of their items, one of which is my favorite, Peanut Butter Powder.  I LOVE that stuff.  Check out their website for all that is included and while there, sign up for to receive their sales emails.  They don't ever give out or sell your email address to anyone else.

I know this is flour, pasta, baking soda and baking powder month but I have to share this with you.  I tried it this morning and it was lip smacking good.  I know, I didn't use food storage items to make it but very easily could have with a little more time to prepare.  I call it, Egg and Tator Tot Waffle.  We had some left over round disk style tator tots that I wanted to use up so here it how I did it.  You could use the round barrel style tator tots also.

Take your tator tots out of the freezer and let them thaw out.  After they have thawed out, turn on the waffle iron and let it heat up.  Mix up one egg well with a fork in a cup like you were going to scramble it.  When the waffle iron gets hot, open it up and spray the top and bottom surfaces with a spray oil or brush on some of your favorite oil.  Arrange the tator tots onto the bottom of the waffle iron in rows and close the lid tightly.  When the green light comes on indicating they are done, open the waffle iron and add the mixed up egg evenly on top of the now squished down tator tots, respray the top heating surface and close it back down.  After about a minute, the egg should be cooked and ready for you to take it out.  I didn't wait for the green light to come back on.
I used two eggs, that is why there is a mess under the iron so just use one.  It is SOOOOOOOOO good.  A variation that I am going to try next time is to fry up some bacon before hand, crumble it up and sprinkle it over the egg before closing the lid down the second time to cook the egg. 

This could very easily be made using dehydrated potato shreds or dices and Ova Easy Egg Crystals from your food storage.  To give it the ultimate flavor after taking it out, pour some pancake syrup over it.  I'm in Heaven now. 

Have fun with your food storage.
Bob and LouAnn Singer

No comments:

Post a Comment